Fish Fry | Meen Varuval recipe with detailed notes, tips, stepwise pictures and recipe video. This is an authentic Tamilnadu style fish recipe which is easy to make yet tasty and delicious. Quick and easy recipe, which does not involve any grinding and consumes very little oil.
I am a huge fan of Meen Varuval or fish fry especially Red snapper fish. Tastes great with Meen Kulambu. I wanted to post this easy fried fish recipe post for a very long time. So when we visited our friends last week, we got Red snapper, white snapper and I made both Fish curry (kulambu) and Fish fry. Believe me, the fried fish kulambu (Varutha Meen Kulambu) tasted great. The final touch by adding coconut milk was true bliss.
This is another ‘Cut – Copy – Paste’ recipe from my mom.. LOL.. I am so fond of this fish fry because, it is shallow fried with less oil, no grinding involved, you can make quick and easy fish fry instantly.
This simple fish fry paired great with the fish Kulambu and Sunday was well done ! Check out our easy Fish Recipes.
Things to Note
Oil to use
I have used corn oil to fry the fishes, you can use any cooking oil.
Homemade Sambar Powder / Kulambu millagai tool
I am sure we all use homemade sambar powder or kulambu millage thool. If you do not have them handy, try to replace with 1 tbsp of red chilli powder and 2 tbsp coriander powder. Adjust the spice level accordingly. Also check out the recipe for my homemade sambar powder.
Let the fishes rest after marination for 30 mins to 1 hour. You can refrigerate it up to overnight. Tightly seal the container and refrigerate the fishes. Bring it to room temperature at least 30 minutes before frying.
Cover the pan with a lid
Always fry the fishes in medium-low to medium heat for 5-10 minutes depending upon the size and slice of the fish. If the fishes are thin, you need to fry each side 5-8 minutes in medium-low heat. Alternatively, you can cover the pan with lid and fry the fishes until deep golden brown on each side.
Am sure there will be no left over fish fry, in case there are you can add them to the fish kulambu and enjoy. Check out the recipe – Varutha meen Kulambu | Fish fry Kulambu
You might also like other fish recipes :
Fish Fry Recipe Video
Lets check out the recipe.
Firstly, wash the fishes and rinse them thoroughly. Finally rub the fishes with rock salt and rinse them thoroughly only last time. Keep aside. Soak a small piece of (tamarind gooseberry size) in water (1/4 cup) and soak for 15 minutes. Extract thick paste of the tamarind and discard the pulp.
Let it fry in medium -low heat for 5-10 minutes. You can also cover the pan with a lid and cook the fishes. Flip the fishes and drizzle 1- 2 tbsp oil.
Fish Fry | மீன் வறுவல் | Meen Varuval
For Fish Fry
- 500 gms Sankara meen / Red snapper thinly sliced
- Small piece Tamarind gooseberry size
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1-1 1/2 Tbsp Kulambu Millagai Thool see notes
- Water as needed
- Oil to fry
- Firstly, wash the fishes and rinse them thoroughly. Finally rub the fishes with rock salt and rinse them thoroughly only last time. Keep aside. Soak a small piece of (tamarind gooseberry size) in water (1/4 cup) and soak for 15 minutes. Extract thick paste of the tamarind and discard the pulp. .
- Secondly In a bowl, add the ingredients under ' For Fish fry' (except the fish, oil) and add tamarind extract (water if needed) to make a semi thick paste. Add the fishes to the marinade and coat them well.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Now in a frying pan, add 1 tsp of oil. When the pan is hot, add the marinated fishes to the pan and drizzle 1-2 tbsp oil.
- Let the fish turn deep golden brown and crisp. Remove from the pan and drain the fried fishes in kitchen towel. Quick and easy fish fry is ready to be served.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE ? Post a pic, Tag us @mummyitsyummy & Use #mummyitsyummy2020